Child Care and Benefits summary
- You must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.
- You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.
- You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:
- a Canadian citizen
- a permanent resident
- a protected person
- a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
It is best if you start with an official CRA “Child and Family benefit calculator” to help you and me to determine what you are eligible for and to get an idea of the amount you are eligible for
- You can apply by completing a Form RC66
- You must attach Schedule RC66SCH, Status in Canada/Statement of Income, if you or your spouse or common-law partner:
• became a Canadian citizen within the last 12 months;
• became a new resident or returned as a resident of Canada in the last two years;
• are, as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, a permanent resident, protected person (refugee), or temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months; or
• are not a Canadian citizen and are an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act.
- You need to attach proof of birth for the child, on which the child’s last name, given name, and date of birth appear, if CRA has not previously paid benefits to anyone for this child, and one of the following applies:
• the child was born outside Canada; or • the child was born in Canada and is one year of age or older.
- Does your application include a period that started more than 11 months ago? If so, you must attach clear photocopies of both sides of all pages of the following documents for the entire period that started more than 11 months ago: • proof of citizenship status (for example, a Canadian birth certificate) or immigration status in Canada for you and your spouse or common-law partner, if you have one; • proof that you resided in Canada, such as a lease agreement, rent receipts, utility bills, or bank statements; • proof of birth for each child (see above); and • proof that you were the person who is primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child(ren)
- You can apply by using “Apply for child benefits” in My Account or by sending the forms to your tax centre.